Lasers in Dentistry
Laser Dentistry in Attleboro, MA
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry involves the use of dental lasers to perform treatments and procedures. A dental laser delivers a concentrated beam of light energy that is capable of vaporizing tissue. Laser dentistry is the latest technology in dental treatment and is used for a variety of procedures, providing an alternative to traditional dental methods.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Laser dentistry offers many benefits for children:
- Minimally invasive. Laser dentistry is less invasive than traditional dental methods and tools that cut tissue manually.
- Faster recovery. Less invasive methods result in faster recovery for patients.
- Quiet operation. Dental lasers are ultra-quiet. They don’t make the high pitched sounds that traditional dental tools make that can irritate sensitive ears.
- No vibration. There is no vibration from a dental laser, which makes procedures more comfortable.
- Little to no bleeding and swelling. Dental lasers naturally cauterize tissue to minimize bleeding and swelling.
- Highly effective. Procedures performed with dental lasers are sometimes more effective than traditional methods and tools.
- Less anesthesia is needed. The gentle operation of dental lasers can mean little or no anesthesia is needed for dental procedures.
We perform the following procedures with dental lasers:
- Gum contouring.
- Biopsy or removal of soft tissue lesions and ulcers
- Gum disease treatment
- Frenectomies (treatment for lip or tongue tie)
- Oral surgery
Why Choose Attleboro Pediatric Dentistry?
We pride ourselves on providing the latest technology in pediatric dentistry. Dental lasers are just one of the forms of technology we use daily in our practice. Our office is equipped with state of the art tools and accommodations to improve the experience of our patients and their parents.
Because we work with the youngest patients, we strive to make dentistry as gentle and comfortable as possible. Dental lasers help with this goal, providing a quieter and less invasive experience that helps reduce anxiety.
Frequently Asked Questions About Laser Dentistry
Are dental lasers safe?
The term “laser” can be intimidating, but it really only means light energy. Dental lasers are actually safer for dental procedures than traditional dental tools. They reduce bleeding and swelling for faster recovery.
How do dental lasers work?
Dental lasers deliver energy at various wavelengths to target the specific type of tissue that needs to be treated. Lasers are capable of seeking out and eliminating damaged tissue without harming healthy tissue.
Do children still need local anesthesia for laser dentistry?
In many cases local anesthesia is not necessary. Dental lasers are gentle and non-invasive so procedures can be performed without the need to numb the area.
Are there limitations to dental lasers?
There are some procedures and situations that can not be performed with a dental laser. This may be due to the location of the problem or other factors.
Is laser dentistry covered by insurance?
In most cases laser dentistry is covered by insurance. It most depends on whether or not the procedure is medically necessary. Cosmetic procedures are not typically covered by insurance.
To learn more, call 508-409-6160 or contact us today to schedule an appointment.